Southern RP Blast Kills 1

February 28, 2008 at 12:38 pm | Posted in 1 | Leave a comment

COTABATO CITY, Philippines (Mindanao Examiner / Feb. 28, 2008) – A suspected homemade bomb exploded in the southern Philippines, killing one man and wounded at least six more, police and military reports said.

The blast occurred in the middle of a crowd watching a street dance in General Santos City late Wednesday. No group claimed responsibility for the blast, but police is investigating whether the lone victim was the bomber after a waist bag believed used to hide the explosive had been recovered from his body.

Other reports said a cell phone was also found in the bag and believed used to trigger the explosion. However, it was not immediately known whether the explosion was accidental or a suicide attack.

Last month, three people were killed and 22 others wounded when a homemade bomb also exploded outside the Philbest Canning Corporation in General Santos City.

No group also claimed responsibility for the bombing, but previous attacks had been blamed by Philippine authorities to the Abu Sayyaf and Jemaah Islamiya, including the country’s largest Muslim rebel group, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front. (With a report from Mark Navales)

Advertisements

Leave a Comment »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URI

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.

%d bloggers like this: